Policies and Procedures

Consortial Courses

“Consortial” courses are transcribed on the student’s Home Institution transcript, and this practice makes it possible for:

Home Institutions to apply financial aid to the courses

Students to improve GPAs by substituting consortial course grades for D’s, F’s, or Ws

Students to count the courses towards part- or full-time status and residency requirements

Approving Courses

The provost, deans and the registrar collaborate to approve a list of consortial courses to make available to students. In choosing courses, they review course syllabi, faculty credentials, and additional assessment of learning outcomes data.

Students Requesting Courses

Students can request courses in two ways:

  • Through a student portal (request needs to be approved)

  • Through an advisor or the registrar (particularly for courses that are not in the student portal but that a student may need; registrars can see additional courses)

Approving Student Request

Institutions approve requests in the following ways

  • By reviewing the student’s request (e.g., does the student need the course? Is the student on a financial hold? etc.) and either approving or denying it

  • The registrar or designated official seeks more information through the use of a form (see CC Course Approval Form Example)

Communication to Students about Requests

After a student submits a CC course request, the Registrar will send one of two e-mail communications:

  1. Denied, which requires the student to respond with more information (see form example below)

  2. Approved, which gives the student key information and directs them to make a tuition payment 

Billing Students

Students pay their Home Institution’s tuition rate per credit hour for the CC course. Many institutions require full payment before a student can start a CC course.

Transcribing Courses

Institutions transcribe CC consortial courses differently, but here are the most common practices:

  • Use a “C” designation and a course number that is the same or similar to the equivalent Home Institution course (e.g., C MT1301 College Algebra).

  • Course numbers may vary from the strict Home Institution equivalent, but in all cases they correspond to the academic level (e.g., freshman, etc).

Some institutions also use an Advising Requirement Code for each “C” course to differentiate courses and to ensure equivalencies are recognized.

Finally, some institutions record full details for each course (e.g., equivalency, etc.) in the “section master course text" section or its equivalent in the Student Information System, so that all can understand what course has been transcribed and its relation to the Home Institution’s equivalent.

Did this answer your question?